Tuesday 11 March 2008

Journal 11/03/08

Today has been one of those days where I have been frustrated. I feel like I am making no progress no matter how hard I try. It is so frustrating. I feel like I have achieved nothing. Part of me knows that I have progressed a long way, that I have seen clearer and clearer the direction to go.

I do not know what causes me to go up and down day after day. Sometimes it feels like the thing to do is to ignore my feelings and go ahead. At the same time, I notice that when I feel like this, it is usually because the day before I have been going too hard. Yesterday I pretty much spent my day and night working. I know it seems normal to other people, other people seem to be doing okay and these things do not seem to affect them, but it does affect me.

One of the things I disagree with in research is the usage of neural networks. Neural networks are great tools, do not get me wrong but by themselves they are lacking. One of the things I would like to see is a system with a neural network augmented with a memory system that remembers everything and a mechanism that adapts to decide what an agent should remember. This way there is the opportunity for conceptual revolution whereas a neural network is only about associating and conditioned responses.

Almost all of the neural networks in the papers that I have been reading are so simple and close ended. Researchers have designed these neural networks to prove a point rather than to design something that keeps learning.

What if an agent decides whether to reuse a network, start a new network or connect networks up?

Aaron Sloman has a lot of good research but it seems to be theoretical rather than practical.

No comments:

Post a Comment