Wednesday 14 July 2010

Interesting People: Charlie Stross

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/f/f0/Charles_Stross_May09.jpg/600px-Charles_Stross_May09.jpg

Another interesting person I've recently found out about is writer, Charlie Stross. Stross's work touches on science fiction, the singularity, Lovecraftian horror and fantasy. That is incredibly cool.

I'm most interested at the moment in reading two of Stross's work.

The first is the novelette, "A Colder War" (2000) which is touches upon the Cold war and the Cthulhu Mythos. It is about an expedition that follows the expedition in "The Mountains of Madness" by H.P. Lovecraft (1936). I struggled with "The Mountains of Madness" and I've been only half way for a while now but I have a hunch that "A Colder War" is going to be good.

The second is "Halting State" (2007) that I vaguely remember Slashdot mentioned a while ago. It's a thriller set in a software company that develops multi-player games.

There are also many other articles related to Stross at Wired and Slashdot. A cool articles is about how Stross has worked with Strange Company, a the machinima group whose work I have enjoyed without knowing about Stross's involvement

Links

No comments:

Post a Comment