Monday 5 April 2010

My DVD Drives Disappeared

http://www.crazedconcepts.com/product_images/s/xb_360_dvd_drive__86797.jpg

My DVD drives disappeared a few days ago. I don't know why they disappeared. I could access them when I used Ubuntu but they just were not accessible from Windows XP. I had been putting off fixing them until I needed a DVD drive to play a game with my brother last night.

Luckily Microsoft provided a solution which requires going into the registry.

Windows XP
  1. Click Start, and then click Run.

  2. In the Open box, type regedit, and then click OK.

  3. In the navigation pane, locate and then click the following registry subkey:

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

  4. In the right pane, click UpperFilters.

    If you do not see the UpperFilters registry entry, you still might have to remove the LowerFilters registry entry. To do this, go to step 7.

  5. On the Edit menu, click Delete.

  6. When you are prompted to confirm the deletion, click Yes.

  7. In the right pane, click LowerFilters.

    (I only had UpperFilters.)

  8. On the Edit menu, click Delete.

  9. When you are prompted to confirm the deletion, click Yes.

  10. Exit Registry Editor.

  11. Restart the computer.
I wish there was a program that could do this for me automatically.

I almost lost it when the DVD drive on my brother's computer also did not work. Luckily it was only because I had forgotten to connect a power cable when I was doing some fiddling with it a few weeks ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment