Tuesday, 30 March 2010

Templates and Macros Increasing Compile Times


A few weeks back I was busily trying to reduce my compiling and linking times. I talked about what I did in an earlier post. I eventually got things down to about 50 seconds for a recompile and about 10 seconds for a partial compile. This was a big difference compared to earlier times of about 10 to 15 minutes for a recompile and about 5 minutes for a partial compile.

As part of the process I had reduced my usage of templates and macros. However, as part of implementing serialization for my system, Boost Serialization uses a fair number of templates and macros. Slowly, my compile and linking times rose by about 30 seconds for a total of about 1 minute and 20 seconds for a recompile.

Not nice but I can live with it. For now.

No comments:

Post a Comment