1) Download and extract freeglut 2.6.0.
I placed freeglut in:
2) Download and install MSYS 1.0.11.
My MinGW is in:
When MSYS prompted, I told MSYS that MinGW was in:
3) Open MSYS and go to your freeglut directory.
To change directories:
$ cd /"drive letter"
For example, to change to d drive:
$ cd /d
4) Configure, build, and install.
--prefix=/mingw means that you want 'make' to copy the header files and libraries into MinGW for you.
$ ./configure --prefix=/mingw
$ make install
- I tried using freeglut with Bullet Physics but the link step failed.
- Bullet Physics looked for glut32 but mine was called glut.lib.
- I renamed glut.lib to glut32.lib but the link step failed again.
- freeglut was trying to use a functions such as timeEndPeriod(), timeBeginPeriod(), joyGetPosEx(), and joyGetDevCapsA() which are part of winmm.lib
- I tried using GLUT that came with Bullet Physics and that worked.